Whole30 Pepper Steak
I grew up on Pepper Steak. This meal always reminds me of my mother as it is one of her specialties! I'm very much a fan of beef and this dish is full of flavor and the beef very tender. This dish does take a little more time than most. However, it is still a one pot meal, so I'll enjoy a bit more time watching and stirring to keep things simple and contained.
Farmer loves this and most of the time my kids too. (They frequently stir in and out of my meal choices...) One thing I'v learned over the last few years is to constantly be cooking new things for my children. Sometimes they're in, sometimes they're out. And that's cool. But to taste and see and learn is a training, not an instant action.
I want them to truly enjoy and pick up on the art of cooking. I want to experiment and have fun with food so they will too. My oldest son has recently been into cooking mashed potatoes. He peels his own potatoes, boils them, smashes them, and adds his own goodness. He loves it! He's trying and he's super proud! (and he's my picky eater...) AND he may be cooking potatoes now every other day and for breakfast at my house...
So Cheers to this Southern Staple. If this weren't a Whole30 post I'd recommend a glass of Red Wine :)
- 1-2 lbs Fresh Stew Beef/Kabob Beef
- 1 whole large Onion diced
- 1 whole Green Bell Pepper cut into strips or pieces
- 3 Garlic Cloves, minced
- Olive Oil
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Balsamic Vinegar
- 2 T Water (I'v used coconut water before too)
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 1 bag Frozen Cauliflower Rice
- Lots of S&P
Heads Up: This Beef tastes the BEST when I cook it a sold 2 hours. The longer you cook it, the more yummy and tender it becomes. Low and Slow always Wins. So plan to cook this on an evening you know you'll be home at 5:00 and can enjoy your Kitchen and your Peeps!
- Marinade the Beef. Place beef in a Ziploc bag along with 1/3 cup Apple Cider Vinegar, 1/3 cup Olive Oil and coat generous with S&P. Let sit for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Place all beef, with marinade, into large sauce pan and simmer over med-low heat. Cook about 30 minutes. stirring often.
- Add onion, 1 Tablespoon Balsamic, 1 tsp Paprika and Garlic. Coat generously with S&P. Simmer 30 minutes, stirring often.
- Taste your food here. What ya' think? I taste my food A LOT! It'll make you crazy proud of the end product...because it just-gets-better!
- Add Bell Pepper, Water and more S&P if needed. Maybe Balsamic?! I'd say Yes! just a couple shakes.
- Simmer another 20 minutes or so. Stir and let it sit.
- Can you see why Wine would be so good here?! Lot's of stirring and watching going on...
- Stir and let meat simmer another 20-30 minutes.
- Taste again. Thoughts? TIP: If ever you still think your food is too bland, it's usually due to the Salt. Salt is meant to bring out natural flavors in foods. So add a tiny bit at a time until your impressed.
- Cook Cauliflower per bag instructions.
- Place a good spoonful of "Rice" on your fave plate. Add the Pepper Steak on top and Enjoy!!